Fire Tears Through SE Portland Auto Parts Store

Posted by Jeremy Scott on February 18, 2014
mikes_fire

PORTLAND — A late Monday night fire sent residents living above Mike’s Auto Parts at Southeast 52nd and Woodstock running for safety when it went up in flames, causing significant damage.

“Crews were having some difficulty because of the size of that building with just one primary entrance in the front,” said Lieutenant Rich Chatman.

The fire appears to have started way in …

Continue Reading


Fire All But Destroys SE Portland Home

Posted by Jeremy Scott on January 24, 2014
se_pdx_fire2

PORTLAND — The east winds fueled a fire on Friday morning that consumed an elderly couple’s ranch-style house at Southeast 152nd and Hawthorne Court.

The homeowner smelled smoke and went to the garage just before 9:00.  He believed it was coming from the furnace.

“I opened the garage door and the smoke just about bowled me over,” said James Schooly the third.

He …

Continue Reading


Two Arrests In Fire That Nearly Destroyed Tavern

Posted by Jeremy Scott on January 17, 2014
pal_shantys

PORTLAND — Two men including an employee have been arrested for a fire that seriously damaged the historic Pal’s Shanty Tavern and restaurant on Northeast Sandy Boulevard.

Investigators believe that the blaze was set to cover up a burglary.  One of the suspects was burned.  Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion and sparks from a window on the second floor …

Continue Reading


Propane Heater Sparks SE Portland Blaze

Posted by Jeremy Scott on December 27, 2013
161st_court_fire

PORTLAND — One person was burned and another injured when their home caught fire on Friday morning.  Investigators say a propane heater that malfunctioned sparked the blaze on Southeast 161st Court off Lincoln.

The fire spread from the garage inside through the attic.  A car in the driveway went up in flames.  It caused about $85,000 in damage.

A man was burned on the head …

Continue Reading


Close Call In Lake Oswego Condo Fire

Posted by Pat Boyle on December 23, 2013
l o condo fire

LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. — Four people were lucky to get out alive just before daybreak on Monday when fire swarmed their condominium on Greenridge Court.  There was no working smoke detector.

Andrew Wong woke up when he heard a noise and found fire outside the front door.  With the exit blocked, he and his girlfriend got onto a balcony and called …

Continue Reading