Anna Erickson contributed to this story
PORTLAND – A building in inner Southeast Portland that’s listed on the historic registry caught fire on Friday morning.
The Osborn Hotel at Grand Avenue and Ash houses retail and businesses on the first and second floors, and apartments on the third.
Danielle Higgins, who lives in one of the apartments, says she was asleep when a noise woke her up. Thinking it was her alarm clock, she tried to turn it off, but the noise continued. The next thing she knew, firefighters were telling her and her roommate to get out of the building. Right after that, she heard a string of explosions from electrical transformers blowing up.
The electricity was shut down as a precaution.
Investigators say it looks like the fire started in the basement.