PORTLAND — Neighbors say they heard a pop from an explosion when a house went up in flames on Monday afternoon. It spread to the home next door on Southwest Vesta Street near 45th.
“It was most likely some propane tanks that were in the garage, ” said Lieutenant Rich Chatman.
There were reports of a transformer blowing, but investigators didn’t find any evidence of that. Oily rags were found on the back deck from the homeowners doing some staining.
“As soon as I heard some noise, I went out and that’s when it erupted. This house on the corner is probably totaled. The whole side is gone basically,” said neighbor Paul.
People living in one of the homes left just before the fire started. There were no reports of injuries.
Some homeowners said the outside of their homes were warm from the inferno, so they sprayed down the sides to be safe.