Final Report Issued in Shooting Death of Oregon City Police Officer | 101 KXL

Final Report Issued in Shooting Death of Oregon City Police Officer

Written by Rosemary Reynolds on February 3, 2014
Ariel View  Libke

OREGON CITY, Ore. — Police Chief Jim Band described the shooter, 88-year-old Lawrence Cambra as not a very nice guy.  He was known for having disputes with his neighbors.

In the final report of reserve officer Robert Libke’s death, we learned that Cambra fought with his soon to be ex-girlfriend the night before he shot Libke in the head.  They fought about how to divide the property they shared.  Their yelling caught neighbors attention.

The argument carried over into Sunday morning, November 3rd.  Cambra choked Smith and ran to get the revolver in their bedroom.  She ran out the front door and texted her son for a ride.  An angry Cambra set the house on fire.  Neighbors saw smoke and called 9-1-1.

He started banging on a grandmother’s back door.  She could see him coming around the house with a gun.  She made her grand kids run out the front and she followed.  He took a 2×4 and started bashing the lock.

When he shot at Officer Libke, the bullet went through a white pvc fence, striking him square in the forehead.  Police in the area thought the sound was coming from the popping of the fire.  When they found Libke, he was lying on his back gushing blood from the head.  Fellow officers thought for sure that Libke was dead and moved quickly to close in a perimeter looking for the shooter.  They wouldn’t let fire crews get close to the house because it was way too dangerous.

90 minutes later, Libke moved his head and his arm.  AMR showed up to move him out of danger until Life Flight could arrive and land 400 yards away.  He was taken to Emanuel Hospital where doctors determined the bullet shocked his brain and within 24 hours they knew he would not survive.

“Officer Libke likely didn’t feel anything,” said Dr. Seth Eisenberg.

Libke photo 1

SWAT closed in on Cambra.  He was hiding in one of his unfinished buildings.  He died of a self-inflicted gunshot from the .38 revolver he was walking around with.  SWAT hit him with two bullets about the same time.

Posted Under: Local Headlines, Today's Top Stories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

© 2015 Alpha Media - All Rights Reserved. 1211 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 600 Portland, OR 97204 | 503-517-6000
Advertise | Careers | Contest Rules | Privacy Policy | EEO Report | Terms Of Use