PORTLAND — The east winds fueled a fire on Friday morning that consumed an elderly couple’s ranch-style house at Southeast 152nd and Hawthorne Court.
The homeowner smelled smoke and went to the garage just before 9:00. He believed it was coming from the furnace.
“I opened the garage door and the smoke just about bowled me over,” said James Schooly the third.
He and his wife got out okay. They’re staying with family. The couple in their 80′s says they plan to rebuild.
“Once we opened up the roof, the wind kicked in there and it blew the fire throughout the rest of the attic. So now we’re chasing this fire throughout the house,” said Ron Rouse with Portland Fire.
Crews had to use a chainsaw to cut through parts of the roof to put out the flames. Northwest Natural Gas dug a hole to reach the gas main and shut off the valve.