Rat Poison Poisons More Than Just Rats | 101 KXL

Rat Poison Poisons More Than Just Rats

Written by FM News 101 KXL on December 18, 2013
Photo Courtesy ODFW

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has a warning for people who use rodent poison.  Recently, veterinarians have seen other animals dying as a result of the poison, whether they are eating it themselves or eating animals that have been contaminated.  One veterinarian, Julia Burco, says they’ve been seeing this a lot in owls, hawks, and even in bobcats.  It’s also a problem in urban areas.  Rat poison can unintentionally harm pets, raccoons, coyotes, even children.

Burco says if you do have a rat or rodent problem, try other methods instead.  She suggests traps, or simply blocking the holes that rats and squirrels can squeeze through to get into your house.  If you must use bait, follow all directions.

ODFW has compiled information on rodenticides.  You can find the information here.

Posted Under: Local Headlines

1 reply to “Rat Poison Poisons More Than Just Rats

  1. paul

    Poison is never the answer! Rodents have a right to be in nature and should never be poisoned. Just don’t let them crawl into your home/business. Hire a sealing contractor like myself.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>



© 2014 Alpha Broadcasting - All Rights Reserved. 1211 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 600 Portland, OR 97204 | 503-517-6000
Advertise | Careers | Contest Rules | Privacy Policy | EEO Report | Terms Of Use